Set-WinSchedule – a winform GUI recurring schedule Picker that currently works with schtasks
March 11, 2010
Posted by on
While my scriptomania script is currently locked down from viewing until the contest is over I thought I would turn the Schedule Picking GUI function I created into a module (Set-WinSchedule). It’s a very early release that can only do 3 types of recurring patterns, but it is definitely useful enough as it exists for most admin-type recurrences:
My end goal is to duplicate all of the recurrence patterns available in Outlook. The funny thing is that I’ve already done this before in another life when I wore my development hat. There was a time that one of my Outlook Com add-ins called Shared Calendar had me do the same task in C#. Back then I used the dialog for evil while I tried to suck the money out of as many small businesses as I could with no regard for life, love, or the pursuit of anything resembling morality. This time, however, I’d like to create it as a very versatile scripting utility that can be used by many in an attempt to return the balance of power within my soul (Jeeze…. I’ve definitely been watching too much Lost)…. I want to be able to use either schtasks, wmi, or “at” to create a schedule while also creating a recurrence object that can be used by other modules or scheduling systems. The following is my current hitlist with this very beta release:
- Need to have more scheduling options. I expect to have all options available in a recurring outlook calendar item
- Need to have methods for scheduling with all 3 providers: schtasks, wmi, and “at” to create the schedule. Currently it only uses schtasks
- Need to design the return object properties:
- Should contain the text paths for each provider type
- Should contain a date/time for start time
- Need to provide a method to overwrite an existing task if it has the same name and the user confirms that it is ok to overwrite.
- Should also provide a -force parameter for this option.
- Need to ensure that files piped from get-item will be scheduled
- Need a parameter to override ok box at the end